Sunday, June 15, 2008

Saucy Grilled Salmon


Several weeks ago I was watching my weekly dose of America's Test Kitchen. I learn a lot by watching the show which airs on public television. I make sure to record the new episodes on DVR so I don't miss them.

They were doing an episode on grilling fish. The reason for tackling this important subject is that grilling fish can be a tricky thing to do. Fish cooks quickly, and most fish types will flake and fall through the grill (that is after the fish sticks to it first).

This recipe was their answer to achieving those attractive grill-marks on the fish. At the end of the segment I decided that I had to try this recipe. So I went to their Web site and did a search.

America's Test Kitchen posts the recipes that air for free. But there are a lot of recipes on the site that viewers cannot access because they are from the publishing group that provides the recipes and you need to be a Web-subscriber to either Cooks Illustrated or Cook's Country magazines to view them.

The funny thing was, when I found the recipe, it was not the same recipe that I had just viewed on TV! Oh no! But luckily I hadn't erased the episode from my DVR. So I re-watched and took notes. Then, within 24 hours I had made the salmon and it was good. :)

So here it is, the originally aired recipe. While I didn't change the ingredients, I did change the instructions a little, and added my own personal touch with the photos.


Sweet and Saucy Grilled Salmon
America’s Test Kitchen
(instructions adapted)

Ingredients

4 Salmon fillets, skinned (2 inches wide)

½ cup jalapeno jelly
2 scallions – rough cut
½ cup cilantro, stems okay
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp lime zest
2 Tbs butter

Aluminum foil folded into a little tray (I have pictures of my tray throughout the posts)

Instructions

Put the jelly, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and lime zest into a food processor. Pulse the processor until the mixture is finely pureed.



Put in a small saucepan over medium heat, bubbling away for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 the butter and mix while it all melts into the sauce. The sauce is now ready.

This is when I brought everything I needed out to the grill. Once the salmon hits the grill, everything moves quickly.


Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Then, brush the pretty side of the salmon (this is called the presentation side) with the glaze.



Put it face-down (presentation side) onto the foil. You are putting it face-down because during cooking, you will turn the fish over one time only, therefore ending-up with the pretty side face-up so you can re-glaze at the end.


Now brush the less-attractive bottom side (which is now face-up) with the sauce.



Put the aluminum foil trays with your salmon onto the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Here is what mine looked like just as I was about to flip it over:



Carefully flip the salmon fillets over with tongs. Look! Grill marks!



With a spoon, put a thick layer of the glaze on top and let the salmon finish cooking.


This is how mine looked as I was about to remove it from the grill:



Plate the salmon. Add a little more glaze on top and garnish it with lemon and cilantro.

I served my salmon on a bed of Coconut Rice With Ginger and Chiles. The two recipes really went well together.










6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you and again, thank you. I've been searching for this recipe ever since I heard the show out of one ear. You just saved me hours of frustration.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I just spent some time registering and navigating through the ATK web site and couldn't find the recipe that I literally just watched on Public TV (about ten minutes ago). Your 'adaptation' looks spot-on.

Anonymous said...

I saw the eipsode today and couldn't find the recipe either. Google found yours. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time and putting this recipe on your blog. I was looking for it and you made it so easy. What a find you are.

Anonymous said...

Terrific blog, and thanks for your detailed post of this recipe. Much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for posting this! I was disgusted when I went online and discovered that this recipe wasn't available. Why does the show make it sound like the recipes are available? Then they require you to sign in and start sending you junk mail. Terrible. On PBS, no less. But you saved the day. I wanted to try this for Labor Day. Thanks again.