Sunday, June 22, 2008

In Defense of Tofu and Egg Whites


Before I post my Tropical Egg White Omelet recipe, I am going to head off some foreseen criticism.

After my Coconut-Crusted Tofu with Spicy Peach Salsa experience, I got a lot of commentary from friends and family. I don't want to say it was negative, it wasn't. But when I talk about eating tofu, and edamame, and things like that, people make faces. In response to my mentioning the Coconut-Crusted Tofu my niece actually said to me, "why not Coconut-Crusted Shrimp?" Because we were sitting together at a party, I got to see her WTF face, too.

My first gut response would have been to say, "because I felt like it, jerk." But I know that's not the right thing to say, so I bit my tongue and pondered on it until I composed my thoughts today. I have four good reasons why I cook and eat tofu and egg-white omelets.

Reason #1: It's Healthy
Hey, I'm overweight and my cholesterol is a fairly high number. Granted, my good cholesterol is off the charts as well, but the main number is sort of scary. So, with tofu and egg whites, I'm avoiding saturated fats. There were other elements to each of these dishes that weren't the most healthy, so these were the sacrifices I was willing to make.

Reason #2:
Even if you disagree with the health factor, it makes me feel good.
Isn't that what it's all about? To be able to eat good food and feel good?

Reason #3:
It tasted good.
Yes, I like tofu. And I like egg white omelets. As I was finishing my breakfast this morning my husband walked in from an errand and commented on how good my breakfast smelled. In fact, this breakfast was so good, I'm going to make the Spicy Peach Salsa again, just to have this breakfast again.

Reason #4: Variety is the spice of life.
Wouldn't it be boring to always eat chicken, or beef, or fish? I think so.


So there you have it. Those are my deep thoughts for the day.



No comments: