Thursday, March 20, 2008

Matzo Brei


I'm all about the Matzo right now!

It's that time of year, when the International isle of the supermarket is chock-full of matzo. I was drawn toward my semi-annual box of Streitz.

Let me just say, I had a little quandary as I selected it. I will share it with you - I felt ripped off. One box of Streitz matzo (lightly salted) cost $3.29. But two isles over, where the seasonal stuff is, a package of six boxes of another brand was only $3.99.

I started out putting the single box in my grocery cart. I know that I'm the only one in my home who will eat it (Joe is doing Weight Watchers). But when I saw the large packages for just 70 cents more, I put the individual box back and loaded the jumbo pack into the cart.

But then my brain started telling me to go back to the original box. What on earth will I do with 6 boxes of matzo? I don't know that within the box the matzo there is plastic to keep it from getting stale. In fact, I do know that the box of Streitz doesn't plastic-wrap the matzo.

So I went back to the International isle and got the single box back. But I felt so gypped at the same time. Yet I know it was the right thing to do.

I love matzo. Did I mention that? I like it plain, with butter, with butter and jelly, with cream cheese, with cream cheese and jelly, and cooked up as matzo brei.

Matzo brei is a simple thing. This is the way I've always made it:

Ingredients

  • 1 piece of matzo
  • water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbs. milk
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • sour cream

Remove a big, square piece of matzo from the box. Trust me, when I say to run it under the tap in your sink. It needs to be softened some with liquid. You don't want the matzo to be mush, and running it under the tap won't do that. I don't soak it, I simply get it wet.

Break the matzo into small peices. Mix those small pieces in a bowl with the 2 eggs and the milk. Season it to taste with salt and pepper.

I like my matzo brei to be separate pieces, so as soon as I drop it into the hot pan (on medium-high), I begin moving it around with the spatula. If you don't do that, it will all cook together like a cake. I am sure that some people like it that way as well. It's a matter of preference.

Serve with sour cream.

No comments: