Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Everyday Food Magazine - a contemplation

I am reevaluating a magazine subscription right now. My April issue of Everyday Food arrived yesterday with a “Last Issue Alert” included, and I’m trying to remember the last time I got excited about any of their recipes.

Did I change, or did Everyday Food change?

I’ve been getting the magazine since it’s first issue. I would hurriedly scan through it and mark the recipes that I wanted to make. Then I’d put it down and get back to it, perhaps making a recipe in the meantime. My second time through, I’d go cover to cover, examining the pages more deeply and removing the recipes that I really planned to make someday, to save them inside a sheet protector that I’d store in a big 3-ring binder of the keepers.

I know what you are thinking, just look at the title! Everyday Food! Well, duh! But for some reason, I think it is more everyday and plain Jane now than it was. I just about lost it when I saw the recipes for a romaine salad and a breaded pork chop.


Isn’t the point of getting a food magazine to learn to cook new and interesting things?

I was completely offended by the recipe for silver-dollar pancake sundaes with chocolate hazelnut sauce. When it comes right down to it, that recipe is Nutella, Biscuick, and Bryers.

Okay, I’ll admit that the whole issue wasn’t like that. They devoted a page to saffron – but only used it in one recipe. It was a basic risotto that they gave a few variations of, one of which was Milanese (with saffron). There was a beef satay, but I don’t generally eat beef. There was a cherry-lime jam, but with frozen cherries?


I guess it’s time to just let go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everyday Food magazine is a wonderful publication. Sounds like it is too basic for you - why don't you subscribe to Bon Apetite or Cooking Light? Seems like their recipes may offer you a little more.