Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bourbon-Maple Scallops



This recipe came from a failed cedar-planked salmon experiment I had last week. The marinade was originally for grilled salmon on a cedar plank.

I liked the combination of flavors in the marinade, so I decided to try it with scallops. First, I tried it on a wood plank. I really disliked the taste of the wood planks. Maybe it was the type of wood I had. I was surprised because I've had wood-grilled scallops before, and I've liked them.

Next, I made the scallops without the wood planks. That's much better! The scallops are sweet and tender. The syrup and the bourbon combine and create pure deliciousness with the scallops. This recipe gets a big thumbs-up!


Bourbon-Maple Scallops

1 pound of fresh sea scallops
1/4 cup Bourbon
1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
2 Tbs olive oil
salt
pepper

Lightly score the tops and bottoms of the scallops with a crosshatch pattern (a slanted tic-tac-toe board). Only let the knife go through the surface slightly.

Whisk the liquids and seasonings together. Add the scallops and let them marinate in the liquid for 15-30 minutes. Saute on a medium-high flame for 2-3 minute per side. Try to only turn over once.

Drizzle the pan juices over the top and serve.



<

8 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

These look wonderful! You got the perfect colour on the scallops.

Katy said...

Delicious combination of ingredients for scallops. Thanks for sharing such a tasty recipe.

recipes2share said...

Sounds juicy and delicious, Meryl!

Bren said...

i don't eat shellfish, but the recipe sure does sound enticing!

Zoe said...

Just delicious! I love the flavor combination here.

J said...

Crap those look awesome!

I tried a recipe the other day that you made last year, for grilled glazed salmon with jalapeno jelly. I am posting the recipe on my blog, and didn't take any pictures. I hope you don't mind if I use your gorgeous pic, and of course give you full credit. If you want me to take my picture down, I will certainly do so.

j_asregadoo AT Yahoo dot com

Elle said...

How gorgeous are those?? I adore scallops. In fact, I had them as a cheat once on our new vegan lifestyle. hehe.

You made them look perfect and beautiful, as always!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing.
I once tried mussles in a maple bourbon cayenne cream sauce, it was incredible....I would love to know how to make it....but I will start with the scallops!
thanks