Monday, January 19, 2015

Resurrection



Wow, it has been a very long time since I posted here, and a lot a changes happened in my life since my last post.

I'm going to be 48 next month.  Holy shit!  48?  I never could have imagined stating that.   But I don't feel old, and I'm told I don't look it either.  That makes me happy.

I went through a divorce, moved into a tiny apartment with the tiniest of kitchens.  To say it was dysfunctional doesn't begin to describe it: There was a sink, refrigerator (22 inches wide), and stove.  Along with that, it came with a whopping 12 inches of counter space and only 2 sets of cabinets above the sink, which at 4'9" I was unable to reach most of without a step stool.  So cooking didn't much happen in the apartment.

I am proud to announce that I am doing much better now!

This past May, I bought a home, and for the first time, I like my kitchen!  When I was in college, there was no kitchen.  Then I moved into an apartment with a galley kitchen.  Then, another galley kitchen.  When we bought our home, the kitchen was better, but still rather small, with very high counter tops that were dark mauve--a popular color in the 80s.  Yuck! After that, there was the lack of a kitchen, and now, happiness.  And with all the cabinets, I have managed to stuff them all and have a wire rack under my kitchen window holding some items that just didn't fit. Well, to be honest, if I were taller, and used the top shelves, maybe I wouldn't have needed it.  Ha ha!  

Here's my well-used kitchen, soul of my home.   




And that's my heart-dog waiting for a treat by the door to the deck.  What a good boy!


And before my first food post, I just want to set out some goals I have for the resurrection of Inspired Bites:

  • I'm going to be true to who I am, both in what I choose to cook and my writing style.  If I don't, my writing will bore me to death.  So it may get colorful at times!
  • I'm going to include posts about restaurants I visit and dishes I try.  My city is turning into a great place for foodies.  I am so happy about that!
  • I'm cooking for me.  So I will often, but not always, cut down on fat and sodium and go high in protein.  At the same time, hoping to make you jealous and inspired to try new things. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
  • I'll be figuring the nutritional information for my recipes.  That's important to me, and MyFitnessPal makes it easy to do.  You can add a recipe, either importing it from another site, or adding it manually.  You say how many portions, and it does all the work for you. How sweet is that?
  • I'll be posting when I get the urge.  At the end of my blogging 4 years ago, I was posting because I felt I had to.




No comments: